Christmas Appeal 2018
Help us help people avoid homelessness! Donate to Nugent’s Christmas Appeal 2018.
Homelessness is not just about having not having a roof over your head, the long term impact on mental and physical heath can make it harder for people to find support, and is having a major impact on our health care services.
During winter, we need to be conscious of individuals huddled in doorways, sleeping rough on our streets and the families whose Christmas will be spent in cramped temporary accommodation or a hostel room with their children.
The figures* speak for themselves:
- Over 307,000 people in Britain are homeless today, an increase of 13,000 in the last year alone. More than the population of Newcastle!
- Over 4,700 people are estimated to be sleeping rough on any one night across the UK, a 15% increase on last year. A 169% increase since 2010!
- Rough sleeping in the North West increased by 39% since 2016 the highest increase in the UK.
- In the last year, over 440 homeless people have died on streets or in temporary accommodation in the UK (Oct 2017 – Oct 2018).
Our Housing Support Unit (HSU) works with partners across the city to help homeless people and those in crisis through our New Beginnings Project by providing temporary accommodation, practical support and advice, which enables people to get back on their feet, live independently and move on to their own permanent tenancy.
People often come to us with nothing, so our HSU team provide starter packs of essential equipment to help them transition into temporary accommodation and permanent residence.
Your Support Matters
Your donation to our Christmas Appeal this year will help provide the basic needs of someone facing homelessness:
- £100 will pay for a full starter pack for someone entering our accommodation, or the purchase of white goods such a fridge or washing machine
- £40 will pay for a full set of bedding (duvet pillows and sheets)
- £20 will pay for a full set of pans
- £10 will pay for a toaster and kettle
- £5 will pay for a set of cutlery
Alternative ways to donate:
Call our fundraising team on 0151 261 2000
99 Edge Lane
Liverpool L7 2PE
(make cheques payable to Nugent)
We comply with the charity commission and UK law in every respect including openness and honesty with our donors, supporters and members of the public. We are a member of the Fundraising Regulator and we adhere to their Code of Practise. You can read our Ethical Fundraising policy at wearenugent.org/fundraising/ethical-fundraising/
You can also donate as you shop online.
Use easyfundraising to shop with over 3,300 retailers including Amazon, Argos, John Lewis, ASOS, Booking.com, eBay, Boden, and M&S. Every time you shop, you’ll raise a free donation for Nugent every time, it’s that easy!
Sources for information and statistics from publications and social media activity:
Bureau of Investigative Journalism (BIJ)