Nugent House School
We are the North West’s flagship school for children and young people aged 7-19 with emotional behaviour and mental health needs providing specialist therapeutic residential and educational support for children and young people from a variety of troubled backgrounds, including:
• Underlying Mental Health Difficulties
• Trauma and Neglect
• Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties
• Complex Learning Difficulties
• Language and Communication Problems
At Nugent House school pupils study National Curriculum subjects in key Stages 2, 3 and 4. We also provide post 16 education for young people up to 19 years old.
The school prides itself on providing an holistic approach to education by preparing pupils for all the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life.
Through this supportive environment, children can begin to develop self-respect and self-confidence.
At a glance:
Nugent House School is a modern teaching facility operating a number of purpose built and well maintained buildings.
The school enjoys a large and superbly equipped sports hall which accommodates equipment for Physical Education and Gymnastics, a wide range of indoor games and also an excellent indoor climbing wall.
Extensive playing fields, athletics track and tennis courts are also provided allowing for a wide range of team and individual sporting pursuits for all pupils.
A wide range of extra-curricular activities are also available.
Pupils are encouraged to express their thoughts and feelings through meetings with their key workers and via pupil surveys.
To provide a high quality integrated education, care and therapeutic environment where young people with behavioural, emotional and social difficulties are enabled to achieve their full potential.
- To create a secure, orderly and caring community in which pupils are able to achieve both academically and personally, whilst developing respect and concern for others.
- To provide entitlement to a National Curriculum which promotes the spiritual, moral, social, cultural and physical development of its pupils.
- To provide pastoral support to promote a greater sense of emotional well-being and an understanding of the difficulties which pupils experience.
- To promote appropriate peer and staff relationships encouraging the acquisition of appropriate social skills, mutual respect and trust.
- To prepare pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life.
- We seek to achieve and promote the five key outcomes of Every Child Matters.
- 8 residential houses situated in a cul-de-sac arrangement called Hope Lane.
- Each house accommodate up to 4 young people with en-suite shower facilities.
- Visits by relatives are encouraged with prior notification
- Each house is equipped with a pay phone
- A close relationship exists between teaching and residential staff as well as between the school, parents and local authority.
- Night supervision – at least one waking Night Child Care Worker on duty
- Education is provided on site for 38 weeks of the year for day and residential placements
- Individual personalised curriculum
- Full National Curriculum
- Nurture Curriculum at Key Stages – 2, 3, and 4
- Asdan offered along with Entry Level Certificates and a range of AQA Unit Awards.
- External accreditation including GCSE.
- Access to local colleges to extend the curriculum into vocational subjects for pupils in Year 10 and Year 11.
- Fully fitted science lab
- Nurture and therapies departments with their own catering areas and specialist rooms.
- Performing arts theatre
Our therapeutic care is overseen by our lead clinician (HCPC Registered Psychologist).
The Standard therapeutic care package includes:
- Regular consultation with the Care Teams
- Attendance at Integrated team around child meetings/ internal team meetings
- Input into LAC reviews / external professional meetings as required
- 8 week clinical needs Assessment
- Active risk assessment and management planning
- Identification of additional training needs of staff teams
- 12 weekly Reviews
- Clinical outcome measures
We also offer enhanced Specialist Interventions and other specialised enhancements tailored to specific needs.
Nugent House School offers students a varied menu and caters to individual needs (eg halal, vegetarian, lactose free, gluten free etc). The Kitchens have a 5 Star Food Agency Rating.